Fast, disk space efficient package manager:
- Fast. Up to 2x faster than the alternatives (see benchmark).
Efficient. Files inside
node_modulesare linked from a single content-addressable storage.
- Great for monorepos.
Strict. A package can access only dependencies that are specified in its
Deterministic. Has a lockfile called
- Works everywhere. Supports Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- Battle-tested. Used in production by teams of all sizes since 2016.
To quote the Rush team:
Microsoft uses pnpm in Rush repos with hundreds of projects and hundreds of PRs per day, and we’ve found it to be very fast and reliable.
pnpm uses a content-addressable filesystem to store all files from all module directories on a disk. When using npm or Yarn, if you have 100 projects using lodash, you will have 100 copies of lodash on disk. With pnpm, lodash will be stored in a content-addressable storage, so:
- If you depend on different versions of lodash, only the files that differ are added to the store.
If lodash has 100 files, and a new version has a change only in one of those files,
pnpm updatewill only add 1 new file to the storage.
- All the files are saved in a single place on the disk. When packages are installed, their files are linked from that single place consuming no additional disk space. Linking is performed using either hard-links or reflinks (copy-on-write).
As a result, you save gigabytes of space on your disk and you have a lot faster installations!
If you'd like more details about the unique
node_modules structure that pnpm creates and
why it works fine with the Node.js ecosystem, read this small article: Flat node_modules is not the only way.
npm install -g pnpm
For other installation options visit our website.
Just use pnpm in place of npm/Yarn. E.g., install dependencies via:
Also, pnpx instead of npx:
pnpx create-react-app my-cool-new-app
For more advanced usage, read pnpm CLI on our website, or run
pnpm is up to 2x faster than npm and Yarn classic. See all benchmarks here.
Benchmarks on an app with lots of dependencies:
This project exists thanks to all the people who contribute. [Contribute].
Thank you to all our backers!
Support this project by becoming a sponsor. Your logo will show up here with a link to your website. [Become a sponsor]
Like this project? Let people know with a tweet.