Open-source emojis for designers, developers and everyone else! OpenMoji is an open-source project of the HfG Schwäbisch Gmünd by Benedikt Groß, Daniel Utz, 70+ students and external contributors.
Interact, create, save, and share your work! 🌈
This GitHub repository contains all of the source files and exported png/svg files of the OpenMoji project.
⚠️ Please note that the master branch is in active development, so if you're looking for stable production version please use one of the releases.
🛠 You can check the latest work in progress developments via the OpenMoji Dev Catalog which lists all OpenMojis of the master branch.
Table of Contents
- Styleguide our beloved styleguide.
- FAQ Check if your question has already been answered
- Contributing Pull Requests are welcome!
- Developer Setup how to setup a environment.
- API documentation for the npm OpenMoji package.
- Font infos on the OpenMoji-Color and OpenMoji-Black fonts.
- Team list of all authors and contributors.
- Acknowledgements Thanks!
- Code of Conduct and OpenMoji Community Statement.
Downloads & Distribution Channels
You can download, use and "consume" OpenMoji in various ways:
- SVG: Color & Black (production ready)
- Fonts: Color & Black (experimental)
- PNG 618x618: Color & Black (production ready)
- PNG 72x72: Color & Black (production ready)
- OpenMoji app: for iOS with emoji picker
- OpenMoji Stickers: for iOS Messages app
- OpenMoji Github:
git clone --dept 1 https://github.com/hfg-gmuend/openmoji.gitThe OpenMoji repo is big! It is recommended to clone it without the entire history, note the --dept flag.
- OpenMoji NPM Package:
npm install openmoji. You can also get individual files via UNPKG direclty e.g.: firstname.lastname@example.org/color/svg/1F64B.svg
- OpenMoji Jekyll Plugin:
gem install jekyll-openmoji
- OpenMoji Spritemap Generator: OpenMoji combined to handy sprite images
- OpenMoji in Fedora: For Fedora 33 and newer,
sudo yum install hfg-gmuend-openmoji-fonts-all
- OpenMoji in JavaFX: A cross-platform JavaFX library allowing you to replace all standard emoji in extended TextFlow (EmojiTextFlow) with OpenMoji.
As an open source project, attribution is critical from a legal, practical and motivational perspective. Please give us credits! Common places for attribution are for example: to mention us in your project README, the 'About' section or the footer on a website/in mobile apps.
Anatomy of the OpenMoji Repository
color/ Contains all exported .png and .svg files ¹
data/ Contains the central openmoji.json with all meta informations for each emoji ¹
font/ Contains the exported OpenMoji fonts ¹
guidelines/ Contains various template files related to the styleguide ¹
helpers/ Contains various helper scripts e.g. to export to .png and .svg, generate skintones variants, enforce the OpenMoji color palette etc. ²
src/ Contains all source .svg files of OpenMoji. The files are broken up into folders and files corresponding with the Unicode groups and sub-groups ¹
test/ Automated unit tests to ensure consistency across all source .svg files ²
¹ OpenMoji graphics are licensed under the Creative Commons Share Alike License 4.0 (CC BY-SA 4.0)
² Code licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License v3 (LGPL-3.0)