GAE-Static: Hosting on Google Cloud Made Simple
Installation Instructions and Getting Started
Project Highlights of gae-static
- Host assets (html, css, js, images, etc) anywhere in your site folder structure like normal web hosting
- Your directory roots serves up index.html files (customizable)
- Does not require any knowledge of programming languages to get your site up an running
- Does not require fiddling with the command line to deploy to Google Cloud.
- Easily develop your website on your own machine and deploy to Google Cloud.
- Lighting fast and cheap (free?) to host on Google App Engine
- Easily integrate with Google Cloud Storage for CDN support
- Can not customize error pages (404 and various GAE errors) Issue #3
- Can not list contents of directories Issue #2
- Folders without trailing slash do not 301 Redirect Issue #1
Experience other issues? Have requests? Feel free to file a ticket on the github project or contribute a fix.
Sites Utilizing gae-static
- gae-static.appspot.com - Vanilla install of the gae-static project with documentation
- blaineandkatie.com - Blaine and Katie Garrett's wedding website
- karnakgallery.com - Promotional site for the "All Over The Walls" documentary by Blue Bridge Media
- antistarband.com - Website for Midwest hard rock band Antistar
If you have a website that utilizes GAE Static, please message (@blainegarrett) and we'll add it to the list.
This project was started by Blaine Garrett (website). If you would like to contribute to this project, feel free to make pull requests against it and tag Github user @blainegarrett
Additional Notes and Resources
- Dead Simple App Engine Static Hosting by Gus Class - Addresses the "naked" folder redirect
- Free Static Page Hosting on Google Appengine in 5 minutes A similar solution with more prescribed directory structure. Includes skip files directive for common files
- Implementing a static website in Google App Engine Another very specific solution. Addresses custom error pages.
- Github project - app-engine-static - A similar static solution that leverages Jinja2 template system for rendering of static content - requires some python and command line knowledge