Table of Contents
This artifact contains the Cisco IOS device upgrade workflow for NSO and Ansible using IAP. The workflow requires that a newer binary version file is already downloaded locally on the destination device (bootflash:), and file integrity has been verified (using md5). To satisfy these pre-requirements, use the free file-transfer artifact available from Itential.
This solution consist of the following:
Main Workflow (IAP-Artifacts IOS Device Upgrade)
- Perform device environmental checks. Verifies a device is on a different version than the requested one.
- Perform pre-checks to confirm device readiness.
- Backup the running-config locally on bootflash drive.
- Perform boot statement configuration to direct the router to load the newer version upon the next boot.
- Issue the reload command.
- Wait for device to become available after reboot.
- Confirm reliable connectivity (ping consistency).
- Perform post-checks to verify the device functionality running the new version.
- Show a Pre-Post Checks diff report.
- Perform MOP analysis to verify no unexpected config changes occurred.
- Show a MOP analysis report.
- Perform rollback, if requested.
- Will run the pre / post commands, and evaluate them against set thresholds.
- Will run the pre vs. post comparisons, and evaluate them against set thresholds.
Automation Catalog Entry with a JSON-Form:
- Mode selection: Zero-Touch, Normal, or Verbose
- Allows user to pick destination device to run the upgrade on.
- Allows user to pick software version to upgrade to (file names are hard-coded in JSON form).
- Ping-consistency variables
- Automatically find device orchestrator Ansible or NSO.
- Perform readiness checks prior to any change, and functionality verifications after changes have been applied.
- Allow for a rollback in case functionality checks have failed.
- Show a conclusive report with the Pre vs. Post diff.
Supported Device Types
- Cisco IOS
- NSO Ver.: 22.214.171.124
- NEDs Ver.:
- cisco-ios: 7.1.1
- itential-tools: 1.23.9-2019.2.0
- Devices Ver.:
- ios: 16.03.07
- IAP Ver. 2019.3.1
- Ansible Manager Ver.: 2.36.3-2019.3.8
- Ansible Ver.: 2.8.3
Starting an IOS-XR device upgrade can be invoked via Automation-Catalog. Navigate to the Automation-Catalog app and press run on the IAP Artifacts IOS Device Upgrade entry
How to Install
- To install this artifact in IAP, use App-Artifact available in Nexus repo.